Thursday 5 June 2008

We're in clover now


Riding along the Champs Elysees and around the Arc de Triomphe was a buzz. Then it was out on the N19, hottish, flattish and longish to a farmyard camping ground. Next day, probably fab sights but couldn't see a thing through the mist and the rain. Day three fab scenery that I could see, including those hills that seemed to never end, and we're not even climbing yet. Grenouille merde!

In Chaumont, so called because it's a town called Chau on top of the equivalent of the north face of the Himalayas, the Mont bit, to which we must ascend to wash our stinky biking gear, eat, look around and enjoy our day of rest. Just getting up is like five trips up the La Trobe St hill. Hope it's improving my leg tone: something has to soon.

The highlights are the company and the scenery. Lots of "Oh yahs" otherwise known as Canadians for all those who have enjoyed Fargo, who know a thing or two about bikes and biking along with all manner of other stuff. I was with two of them plus a Brit and an American when we pulled into a town, sopping wet, and ordered chocolate chaudes to warm us up. Monsieur, a fellow patron, shouted us our drinks as a bon voyage gesture. I love the French. They are so polite to cyclists on the road, yes even FBTs (****ing big trucks) and smile and laugh good humouredly at my pathetic Francaise.

Riding all day in the rain on day two was instructive - it taught me how to hurtle downhill in a downpour, vision afforded only by a fluoro clad cyclist hurtling down before me. It also taught me that tying the tent fly securely is important and that newspaper can dry shoes. I say 'can' advisedly. I slept soundly through the donkey's repeated braying, the five hour thunderstorm and the rooster's crowing on the first night and pretty much repeated the performance on day two. But the FBTs roaring past last night seemed to keep me awake. Pity really as donkeys make better noises.

For the parents reading this I have a new phrase for you: "as clean as Singapore" which you can use in relation to requests about how you want rooms to be left, for example.

As Bill, a kindly American said on day one, we're in clover now. Only 3700 kms to go!

No comments: