Friday 18 January 2008

Holidays are Over

It's January 17 already, and in John Lennon's words, what have I done since Christmas?

What's a Melbourne summer without tennis? One of the things I've done is gone to, and watched on the idiot box, LOTS of tennis. Don't you just love the commentary? I know some might prefer Jim Courier for his wit and knowledge, or the consummately technical Roger Rasheed, but my favourite so far is John Alexander. His comment that Li'l Leyton's opponent's mum liked tennis, but as she couldn't call her son Tennis, she chose Dennis instead, is amazing, don't you agree? It leads one into all type of profound philosophical speculation, such as what Rex's and Honey's mums liked, for instance. Thank you, John. Keep up the good work.

I've written a bit more of the novel and thought about how it has to change, again; made jam to cheat the birds from the pleasure of eating all our fantastic stone fruits straight from the trees; sent out the first round of fund raising request letters; thought about what I can do to add my voice to the anti-bay-dredging majority; and done a bit of light training. I suspect my training will always be just 'light'...swimming, riding a bit, doing some stretching and the weekly personal torture routine at the gym. And lived through the university offers period with Junior. Now, that takes fortitude. Riding 4,000 kms seems like it will be a breeze in comparison, right now. Ask me in mid-June if I'm still sticking to this opinion.

I'm now trying to work out how to get back from Istanbul to London after Desy joins me. We're planning on a month to wander on home via London and goodness knows where else. Maybe a train with stopovers along the way through Europe? Maybe fly to Spain and book an apartment for a couple of weeks? Maybe just spend a couple of weeks in Turkey? I guess we'll work it out.

And then there's the tent challenge. I need a tent. I hate being in small tents, so it's off to see what the world of tents is all about in the modern era. It's got to be light, compact and really easy to put up. And cheap, as I'm pretty unlikely to use it on a regular basis. I've got the bed roll. Probably need a new sleeping bag, although I am very fond of the Swedish Princess that has accompanied me faithfully on three Great Vic Bike Rides, now. I've got the new super duper shower set and micro fibre towel, thanks to the tradition of giving gifts at Christmas.

I've also got to decide on my bike seat. The cruel expensive one I rode on the last Great Vic with the help of Nurofen to quell the absolute pain, although ergonomically sound, is not going to be for me. Then there's bike shoes with cleats. Time to grow up in this department. I've decided to take the Vivente rather than lash out on a new machine. I figure that by the time I get to Istanbul, the bike's not going to owe me anything so I can sell it, post it or give it away with impunity, and wander through Europe unencumbered.

Ah, so many decisions and so much planning. Delicious, indeed!

No comments: